According to the Texas Department of Transportation, nearly 4,000 persons were injured or killed in pedestrian and bike accidents in 2018.
Dallas is making an effort but has a lot of work to do toward its goal to become more bike-friendly. The Dallas Morning News reports that Dallas has built only one-quarter of the bike lanes planned between the city and Fort Worth. Until Dallas and other cities become more bike-friendly, there remains a high risk of injury for cyclists on the road.
What do I do after a bike accident?
- Call the police and request an Accident Report.
- Get contact information from witnesses and the at-fault driver.
- Get insurance information from the at-fault driver.
- Take pictures of the scene, your injuries, and damage to your vehicle.
- Consult a medical doctor for your injuries and follow your doctor’s advice.
- Retain all medical bills.
- Contact a lawyer for advice.
- Direct all communication with any insurance adjuster to your lawyer.
- Do not give a recorded statement to an insurance company.
- Do not sign any Release for an insurance company before consulting an attorney.
- Do not accept any check from an insurance company before consulting an attorney.
Why do I need an attorney for a bike accident?
If you are a cyclist injured because of a reckless driver, call an attorney. An attorney can help you get the medical care you need, when you need it. Do not delay necessary treatment because you do not have health insurance or you cannot afford your deductible.
A medical doctor can refuse to treat someone hit by a car. A hospital can refuse to bill health insurance for someone hit by a car. But an attorney can help you get the care you need, and get the bills paid by the insurance company for the driver that hit you.
The Avant Law Firm will take care of your claim so you can take care of yourself.
Contact us. We can help.
The Avant Law Firm has successfully represented thousands of clients. Anjel Avant, the founder of Avant Law Firm, is Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law. Just 3 percent of Texas attorneys have this certification.
We are a small boutique firm that specializes in personal injury law. We are not a general practice or high-volume law firm. Many cases come from other lawyers or client referrals because of our reputation in the community and the results we attain for clients who have been in bike accidents.
We want to help you. Contact us for a free consult.